Street light, sidewalk, pothole and other neighborhood upkeep – How to contact the City of Seattle

When you own a home, you need to pay attention to maintaining your own little corner of the world, but home ownership brings with it some neighborhood responsibilities as well. New homeowners may not realize, but the city actually needs some assistance to keep things in shape. There are too many roads, sidewalks and streets in Seattle to have crews proactively looking for problems, so the city looks to local residents to let them know when something needs fixing.

Street Lights

7-digit pole tagIf you live in Seattle, you’ve probably seen the massive street light replacement project in action. They are in the process of converting high-pressure sodium lights to lower-power LED lights. While the LED lights should last a long time, they will eventually burn out, just like their predecessors. If you see a street light out, make note of the pole number, street name and nearest address. Make sure you grab the 7-digit pole number, as some have two number on them. Then visit the Street Light Trouble Reporting Form.

Potholes, graffiti, abandoned vehicles an parking enforcement

Find It Fix ItSeattle has stepped into the 21st century and allows you to report abandoned vehicles, graffiti, potholes and parking enforcement issues via the Find It, Fix It smartphone app for iOS and Android.

You can also visit their website directly for the following service requests:

Animal Control

The Seattle Animal Shelter handles complaints regarding animal bites, stray and animal abuse. You can contact them when there is an animal issue in your neighborhood.

Property or Building Complaints

Is your neighbor doing non-permitted construction on their property? Or perhaps they are operating an apartment building that is not allowed by zoning laws? The Department of Planning and Development enforces zoning and construction laws. You can submit complaints on their website.